Yesterday, I accepted a job with a high school in Brasília, the famously-planned capital of Brazil, starting in January. No, it’s not São Paulo, my favoritest city, but I’m pleased with the move for several reasons:
- It’s still Brazil and most of the 2.6 million people, Brazilians.
- I’ll have a steady paycheck, immediately, with bonuses and an apartment included.
- I’ll have my two months in the summer and month at Christmas for travel.
- I’ll have much less social activity to distract me from writing.
- There are 91 embassies and 9 major universities in the city—there will still be a social life and plenty of cultural activities.
- I can fly to São Paulo in 90 minutes, dozens of times a day (I see monthly raids to SP in my future).
- There are daily nonstops to Lisbon and Atlanta.
- After a couple years, it will provide me the financial cushion to write full-time.
So…Brasília it is. Holla!